Monday, June 16, 2008

34 weeks... Only 6 weeks left!!!



Here is a pic of me 34 weeks pregnant.
As I have been pregnant I have observed a few things that I would like to share with all of you. There are certain things that are socially unacceptable ...until you are pregnant, then all socially correct behavior goes by the wayside. Below are some examples of what I am talking about.

1. Usually it is impolite to comment openly on a woman's weight. However when you are pregnant you are constantly hearing comments (some even from strangers) such as," You are getting sooooo BIG," or " Do you feel like you are ready to POP yet?" or my favorite, "It looks like your baby is going to be a big one!"
2. All of the sudden people feel like they can rub your stomach. Imagine rubbing a co-workers stomach if they weren't pregnant...can you say awkward. However, when you are pregnant, all that awkwardness seems to go away, at least in the eyes of the person rubbing the stomach. I feel like I can speak for most pregnant women when I say that No, it is still awkward!
3. You wear clothing that you NEVER would even consider buying if you could fit into regular clothes. (Please note the geometric shapes on my shirt above). I don't know if it is the fact that I don't want to spend a lot of money on maternity clothes since I will only be wearing them for a few months, or if it is because there are only a few store that sell maternity clothes, whichever it is, I am definately wearing things that I would not consider wearing if I wasn't pregnant.
4. No matter what you eat, people are always reminding you that you are "eating for 2." If you eat dessert, people try and justify it for you by saying, "don't worry about eating that cake...remember, you are eating for 2." If I didn't feel bad about eating the cake before, I definately do NOW.
5. I think the best comment I hear is "So when are you do" and when I say "6 weeks" they reply "Really, that far away? It looks like you could deliver today!"

This post was meant to be humorous rather than the rantings of an emotional pregnant woman. So feel free to call me Big, rub my stomach, comment on my food intake, and say it looks like I could deliver today...I won't be offended. I completely understand that when you are pregnant, people say and do things that are usually socially unacceptable, and I am OK with that :)

9 comments:

Carly said...

AMEN!!!

Jeff and Emily said...

Hahaha....Hilarious as usual.

Heidi said...

You are too funny! And everything is so true!

Anonymous said...

LOL that's great!!! You look like you're gonna POP, that's my fav one!! Oh I still need you to e-mail me your address, read the comment on your previous posting:)

Michelle said...

Ha Ha Ha, all these comments are all to familiar. It just makes me laugh because just about 8 weeks ago I was feeling the same way. I heard every single one of those comments and I swear by the end if one more person said it, I was going to punch them. And what do you say back? "Yeah I am pretty big huh" or "I know I feel like I am going to pop" I mean seriously....some people need to get a clue.

Robyn Reynolds said...

This is all so TRUE!! People have told me...are you sure your not further along or having twins. That always makes you feel good about yourself. I am so jealous that you are so close. You still look fabulous!

Avree said...

All of that is so true! But you look great! I hated it because when I still had like 8 weeks left people would ask me if it was going to be any day now and I felt stupid saying, "No, I've still got 8 weeks".

Seth and Kara Farnsworth said...

My dearest Katy, you are EXACTLY where I was at LAST YEAR at this very same time. I totally relate, and I think you look like you're all belly....I can remember feeling justified in my social faux pas. My favorite was my parking in the "senior citizen's parking" at Walmart. I got a number of crusty looks from oldies when I used to whip into "their" spots. I felt like I was more deserving of close parking than they were.

Angie O said...

You are sooo funny and cute, Katy! I have to ask, do patients ever rub your belly? :) I know they rub the pregnant nurses'.